Here is a quick and easy one-pan skillet chicken verde that is packed with flavour! Everything is made fresh starting out by roasting some tomatillos, jalapenos, onions and garlic in a cast iron skillet until they are nice and charred before transferring them to a blender to puree. The chicken is then cooked in the skillet before adding some broth, and the salsa verde along with lime juice and cilantro to finish things off with a bright freshness! All said and done this tasty skillet chicken verde is ready in less than 30 minutes and you can cook some rice or pasta to serve it over in less time for a complete meal!
This is perfect for cinco de mayo which is quickly approaching!
Skillet Chicken Verde
- 1 pound tomatillos, peeled and washed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stem removed
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add the tomatillos, jalapeno, onion, and garlic and lightly char on all sides before transferring to a blender to puree.
- Heat the oil in the same skillet, add the chicken and cook until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scrapping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the salsa verde, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and mix in the lime juice and cilantro.
Tip: Serve with tortillas for scooping or over rice, pasta, etc.
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Creamy Salsa Verde Skillet Chicken
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Avocados
Chicken and Avocado Burritos
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas in Creamy Avocado Sauce
Creamy Bacon Honey Dijon Skillet Chicken
Balsamic Maple Dijon Chicken with Bacon Sauce
Caprese Balsamic Grilled Chicken
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Goat Cheese Skillet Chicken
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Chicken in a Creamy Parmesan and Sundried Tomato Sauce
Spinach and Artichoke Skillet Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
Baked Chicken Santa Fe
Baked Firecracker Chicken
Creamy Avocado Salsa Verde
Jalapeno Popper Skillet Chicken
Baked Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Salsa Verde Baked Chicken
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Avocado Salsa Verde
WE made this for dinner tonight and it was amazing. It was also so easy and hardly took any time. I roasted the tomatillo etc. in the toaster oven on broil to char up, but will use the grill next time since it's easy. We will have this on rotation often. Made some cassava tortillas on the side (I'm a celiac) and served with sour cream and avocado.
Cori: I'm glad you enjoyed it! Serving it in tortillas with sour cream and avocado is perfect! Yum!
I tried this recipe last night and instead of fresh tomatillos, I used Herdez Salsa Verde (16 oz.) which is basically tomatillos. Herdez also sells a can of tomatillos. I also added oregano. It was delicious and my husband raved about it! So, it's a keeper!