Salsa verde, a green tomatillo style salsa, is one of my favourite foods and it’s so easy to use it to make this quick and easy creamy salsa verde skillet chicken. You simply roast some tomatillos and jalapenos under a broiler or in a cast iron skillet or even under an open flame before pureeing them. Meanwhile you brown the chicken in a skillet before adding onions, garlic and chicken broth along with the chicken and pureed tomatillos, lime juice and plenty of cilantro. The salsa verde sauce is amazing just like this but add some sour cream and things just get divine! This creamy salsa verde skillet chicken only takes a few minutes to make and it’s so good that you’ll be making it over and over again!
Creamy Salsa Verde Skillet Chicken
A quick, easy and tasty skillet chicken in a creamy salsa verde pan sauce!
- 1 pound tomatillos, peeled and washed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced in half and seeded
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or heavy cream)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the tomatillos and jalapenos under the broiler (or medium-high heat in a cast iron skillet) until charred, about 10 minutes, before pureeing in a blender or food processor.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until lightly golden brown on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes before adding the garlic and cooking until fragrant, about minute.
- Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits form the bottom of the pan with a spoon.
- Add the pureed tomatillos and jalapenos and chicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sour cream, lime juice and cilantro before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, removing from heat and enjoying.
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Avocados
Chicken and Avocado Burritos
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas in Creamy Avocado Sauce
Creamy Bacon Honey Dijon Skillet Chicken
Balsamic Maple Dijon Chicken with Bacon Sauce
Caprese Balsamic Grilled Chicken
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Goat Cheese Skillet Chicken
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Chicken in a Creamy Parmesan and Sundried Tomato Sauce
Spinach and Artichoke Skillet Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
Baked Chicken Santa Fe
Baked Firecracker Chicken
Creamy Avocado Salsa Verde
Jalapeno Popper Skillet Chicken
Baked Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Skillet Chicken Verde
Pan Seared Balsamic Strawberry Chicken and Brie