Up next we have another super quick and easy chicken dish and this time it’s a one skillet chicken and mushroom dish in a creamy asiago and dijon mustard sauce and it’s just packed with flavour! This recipe starts out by butterflying or pounding the chicken thin so that it cooks quickly and then cooking it at a high temperature to caramelize it on both sides before setting aside. The mushrooms along with the onion, garlic and thyme are then cooked before deglazing the pan with some white wine, adding the chicken broth, cream and mustards, simmering to reduce and thicken the sauce and adding the asiago cheese! All said and done this recipe takes about 30 minutes to make so it is perfect for dinner on a busy week night and it’s sure to impress everyone that tries it!
I like to kick things up a bit by adding white miso paste at the end which adds that certain something, aka umami, to the dish but it’s completely optional. Another way to go is to season with soy sauce instead of salt as soy sauce is also an ingredient with umami.
I served the chicken and mushrooms in creamy asiago mustard sauce on quinoa with some simple steamed broccoli for a super quick and easy dinner. Broccoli and mushrooms are a fabulous combination so double the sauce and pour the extra over the broccoli or green beans!
Some extra asiago never hurts!
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Quick and easy chicken and mushrooms in a creamy asiago and dijon mustard sauce.
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium-hight heat, season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste, add them to the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4-6 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the mushrooms and onion and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid and it has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic and thyme and cook, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the broth and cream, mix in the mustards, season with salt and pepper to taste, add the chicken, bring to a boil and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the asiago and let it melt, remove from heat and enjoy!
Option: Cook the mushrooms longer, until the start to caramelize, for even more flavour.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso paste by mixing some of the hot pan sauce into the miso in a bowl before mixing it back into the pan sauce just after you remove it from the heat.
Option: Season with soy sauce instead of salt or miso.
Chicken in a Mushroom, Tarragon and Mustard Sauce
Chicken in a Creamy Parmesan and Sundried Tomato Sauce
Crispy Baked Quinoa Crusted Chicken Parmesan
Honey Dijon Pretzel Chicken
Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Creamy Lemon Chicken
Roasted Potatoes in Creamy Mushroom and Miso Sauce
Roast Head of Cauliflower in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Spinach and Artichoke Skillet Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
Creamy Garlic and Brie Mushrooms
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Goat Cheese Skillet Chicken
Thai Peanut Chicken Saute
Grilled Asparagus in a Creamy Balsamic Mushroom Sauce
Balsamic Maple Dijon Chicken with Bacon Sauce
Creamy Bacon Honey Dijon Skillet Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
Slow Braised Beef Stroganoff Soup
Creamy Salsa Verde Skillet Chicken
Skillet Chicken Verde
Pan Seared Balsamic Strawberry Chicken and Brie
Cauliflower Gnocchi in Asiago Mushroom and Spinach Sauce
Garlic Butter Skillet Steak Bites and Potatoes
Spinach and Artichoke Baked Chicken