Garlic is an amazing food, it’s tasty, aromatic and used in so many dishes! It can be a little pungent so it’s generally cooked and cooking mellows it out into it’s magical deliciousness. Normally it’s chopped but it’s also really good whole, you just need to roast it or simmer it until it’s cooked through, buttery and melts into your mouth delicious! In this dish, chicken is seared in a pan before adding a whole head of garlic, to roast until golden brown before finishing the sauce off with cream and plenty of parmesan cheese. It’s a super easy dish and the creamy and garlicky sauce is amazing smothered over a side of mashed potatoes or rice!
Creamy Skillet Garlic Chicken
Skillet chicken in a creamy garlic sauce with whole cloves of mellow garlic!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 whole head of garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper, and brown, about 3-5 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, and thyme and cook until the onions are tender and the garlic starts to turn a little golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as the broth sizzles.
- Add the cream and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted, before adding the chicken.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, OR, roast in a preheated 375F/190C, covered, for 20 minutes.
Option: Replace the heavy cream with half and half. Lower the heat before you add the half and half and do not bring it to a boil as it will separate at high heat.
Option: Replace the parmesan with asiago!
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso paste to the sauce!
Option: Garnish with chopped parsley.
Chicken in a Creamy Parmesan and Sundried Tomato Sauce
Crispy Baked Quinoa Crusted Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan Soup
Chicken in a Mushroom, Tarragon and Mustard Sauce
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Creamy Chicken and Sundried Tomato Pasta
Creamy Lemon Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Skillet Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Goat Cheese Skillet Chicken
Balsamic Maple Dijon Chicken with Bacon Sauce
Creamy Bacon Honey Dijon Skillet Chicken
Pan Seared Balsamic Strawberry Chicken and Brie
Leigh Ann says
I would love to be able to find the rice recipe that is pictured with this chicken! Can you direct me to that page? Thanks!
I will be posting the mushroom rice recipe soon!
Got to give this one a try
Ann Y. says
This looks great…can’t wait to try it !
Very poorly written recipe
Where is the cream cheese in the ingredient list?
No mention of when to add the cream or Parmesan in the directions. 🤷♀️
In step 4 when it says “Add the cream and cheese” is referring to the cream and parmesan cheese. There is no cream cheese in the recipe.
So in other words, very poorly read…not poorly written. I cannot wait to give this one a try!
Kitty Finn says
This looked very good but I used half and half and the sauce broke down completely in the oven. What happened?
Half and half will separate, or curdle, at high temperatures so it should not be brought to a boil. I have updated the recipe to indicate this.
Asma Sheikh says
It looks like a new type of chicken recipe to me. Going to try this soon, hope it will be yummy and my 6 years old son will love it.
Joellen Fry says
This recipe is so good. I added some little yukon old potatoes to it. Cooked the whole thing on stove top rather than oven. We’ll have this again in about two weeks. Well done.