As many of you know, I am a big fan of quinoa and I have been ever since I first tried it. You can use quinoa in surprisingly many ways and I have been enjoying experimenting with different ways of using it over the last few years. My next experiment was to use it as a replacement for breadcrumbs to get a crispy coating on chicken (or other things) that was inspired by the fact that when you bake or toast cooked quinoa it gets nice and crispy. One of the first things that came to mind to try the quinoa coating on was chicken parmesan which typically consists of breaded chicken that is fried or baked and then covered in a marinara sauce and melted cheese. The recipe for the quinoa crusted version of chicken parmesan could not be simpler, you pretty much just take your basic baked chicken parmesan recipe and replace the breadcrumbs with cooked quinoa.
The cooked quinoa coating on the chicken toasted up nice and crispy and golden brown on the chicken just like bread crumbs and I quite enjoyed the texture of it! Now that I know that the quinoa coating works I can’t wait to try it on other things! Crispy quinoa crusted zucchini fries anyone?
Serve with a salad for an easy light meal.
Crispy Baked Quinoa Crusted Chicken Parmesan
Healthy baked, crispy quinoa crusted chicken parmesan topped with melted cheese and marinara sauce.
- 4 (4-6 ounce) boneless, and skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (~1/2 cup dry cooked with 1 cup liquid)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning blend
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano regginao (parmesan), grated
- 2 cups marinara sauce, hot
- 2 tablespoons basil, torn
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, dredge in flour, dip in egg and coat in the mixture of the quinoa and italian seasoning.
- Place the chicken on a rack on a baking pan and bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until cooked and lightly golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking dish, top with the cheese and broil until it has melted, about 2-4 minutes.
- Plate the chicken and top with hot marinara sauce and fresh torn basil and enjoy!
Chicken Parmesan Soup
Chicken Parmesan Salad
Maple and Mustard Glazed Chicken
Crispy Baked Eggplant Fries with Marinara Dipping Sauce (aka Eggplant Parmesan Fries!)
Honey Dijon Pretzel Chicken
Eggplant Parmesan Stuffed Eggplant
Chicken in a Creamy Parmesan and Sundried Tomato Sauce
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Crispy Baked Cheddar Dijon Chicken Tenders
Meatball Parmesan Dip
Chicken Parmesan Dip
Baked Chicken Santa Fe
Baked Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Tonkatsu (Japanese Pork Cutlets)