With leftover marinara sauce and a fridge full of eggplants I thought that I would do an Eggplant Parmesan or Parmagiana di Melanzane. Normally an eggplant parmesan is coated in bread crumbs and fried in oil 0until crispy but I like a simple version where the eggplant slices are roasted in the oven until tender. If you prefer you could also coat the eggplant slices in the breadcrumbs and then bake them. Often when I make marinara sauce I will double the batch so that I can freeze the extras so that I will always have some on hand for quick dishes like this.
Eggplant Parmesan (Melanzane alla Parmigiana)
- 2 eggplants (sliced 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
- Salt the eggplant slices and let them sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant and pat dry.
- Broil the eggplant until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place the eggplant on the bottom of a baking pan.
- Spread the marinara sauce on top of the eggplant.
- Spread the cheese on top of the marinara sauce.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese is golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
Eggplant Parmesan (Lasagna Style)
Fried Green Tomato Parmesan
Eggplant and Mozzarella Panini
Fried Eggplant and Mozzarella with a Roasted Marinara Dipping Sauce
Crispy Baked Eggplant Fries with Marinara Dipping Sauce (aka Eggplant Parmesan Fries!)
Quinoa Crusted Chicken Parmesan
Lemon Chicken Romano