Chicken parmesan is one of my favourite meals and this is a slight variation that uses romano cheese instead of parmesan cheese. This dish is super easy to make, it’s just chicken that is pounded thin, dusted in flour, dipped in egg, coated in a mixture of bread crumbs and grated romano cheese before being fried in oil until golden brown and crispy! I like to season the chicken with oregano and lemon zest (in addition to salt and pepper) which adds a nice brightness to the chicken. Normally chicken parmesan is served in marinara sauce and topped with melted mozzarella cheese, which is also good with this romano chicken, though I sometimes like to serve it topped with just the melted cheese.
In the photos I served the chicken with steamed green beans and crispy roast potatoes.
Lemon Chicken Romano
A quick and easy chicken coated in a crispy golden brown breadcrumbs with lemon and romano cheese!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- oil for frying
- 1 pound chicken breasts (boneless and skinless), pounded thin or butterflied
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- Mix the eggs, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a wide bowl.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and romano in another bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Lightly dust the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Press the chicken into the breadcrumbs to coat on all sides and shake off any excess.
- Cook the chicken in the oil in the pan until golden brown on both sides and place on a baking pan.
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese has melted, about 5-10 minutes.
Tip: Dredge and cook the chicken in batches depending on your pans size.
Option: Use regular bread crumbs or panko breadcrumbs.
Option: Bake the chicken in marinara sauce with the mozzarella on top!
Option: Instead of frying the chicken in oil, bake in a 350F preheated oven until the chicken is cooked through and the breadcrumbs are lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes, before topping with the mozzarella and continuing to bake until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
Joann lindner says
Where does the Romano come in,’in the recipe?
The romano cheese is mixed in with the breadcrumb coating. Enjoy!
Relative Luxury says
You really can’t go wrong with chicken and breadcrumbs in any form! Looks super tasty – can’t wait to give this a try at some point this summer.
Excellent, easy recipe. Chicken was moist inside and crispy on the oytside.
This sounds delicious! I’ve added to my “must make “ list!
Nona McCown says
Do you have a recipe link for the potatoes shown in the picture with the Lemon Chicken Romano?
Here they are: crispy roast potatoes.
Question. : Could you Air Fry this recipe instead of oil frying? How long? What temperature? Thank you!
You can cook this in an air fryer: 375F for 5-8 minutes per side, followed by sprinkling on the cheese and letting it melt, about 2-3 minutes.
Elaine Beard says
Ok, This looks delicious,and will make it!but what did you do to those potatoes,I need to know.Please!
toss with olive oil and roast in oven or air fry