Potatoes are one of my go-to veggies for sides and one of the easiest ways to cook them is to roast them. It’s really as simple as dicing the potatoes, tossing them in oil and roasting them in the oven until the are golden brown and crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth tender on the inside! You can use pretty much any potato you like here, white skinned, red skinned, yellow or russet, are all good. The real cooking during the roasting process is happening where the potatoes are in contact with the pan so you want to use a large pan (I prefer metal) where you can spread the potatoes out in a single layer with all of the pieces on the pan. Tossing the potatoes in oil helps them to cook nice and golden brown and mixing the potatoes up at least once while roasting so that more than one side gets nice and crispy. I like to season the potatoes simply with salt and you have the opportunity to season them with your favourite herbs and spices; simply mix the spices and herbs into the oil before tossing the potatoes in it.
Crispy Roast Potatoes
Easy potatoes roasted to golden brown crispy perfection!
- 2 pounds potatoes, washed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Toss the potatoes in the mixture of oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika and place in a single layer on a baking sheet/pan.
- Roast in a preheated 425F/220C oven until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes, flipping the potatoes once in the middle.
Option: Cut into wedges instead of cubes.
Option: Change the spices and herbs up!
Option: Serve with a garnish of parsley!
Option: Hit with a splash of lemon juice after roasting!
Option: After roasting sprinkle on some grated/shredded cheese such as: parmesan, grana padano, pecorino romano, asiago, etc.