I was looking for some Spring inspired side dishes for my Easter dinner and these crispy Greek lemon smashed potatoes were sounding really good! This is a pretty basic smashed potato recipe, where small potatoes are cooked until tender, smashed down flat, brushed with oil and baked until they are golden brown and crispy on the top and bottom. These ones are done in a Greek style with oregano and once they are roasted they are drizzled with melted butter and lemon juice! Yum! These lemon smashed potatoes are great as a side dish for a meal or a finger food as they are perfect for topping with tasty things!
Top them with feta yogurt!
Load them up with tzatziki sauce, kalamata olives, tomatoes, parsley, dill, etc. and make an appetizer out of them!
Crispy Greek Lemon Smashed Potatoes
Tender potatoes that are smashed and roasted until golden brown and crispy on top and bottom seasoned with olive oil, butter, oregano salt and pepper in addition to a hit of lemon juice!
- 1 pound new potatoes (about 1-1 1/2 inches across), washed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Bring the potatoes and enough water to cover them by an inch to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until a fork can easily be pushed into them, about 15-30 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes, before draining them.
- Place the potatoes on a greased baking sheet and ‘smash’ them by pressing down on them with something like a potato masher, the bottom of a glass or bowl, etc.
- Brush the potatoes with the oil, sprinkle on the oregano, salt, and pepper and bake them on the top shelf of a preheated 450F/230C oven until golden brown and crispy on top, about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle on the melted butter and lemon juice before sprinkling on the parsley!
Option: Use roast chicken or turkey, lamb, beef, etc. dripping instead of the oil for more flavour!
Option: Top with crumbled feta and/or tzatziki sauce, kalamata olives, tomatoes, parsley, dill, etc.
Loaded Smashed Potatoes
Greek Lemon Foil Roasted Potatoes
Parmesan Garlic Miso Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Cheesy Slow Cooker Bacon Ranch Potatoes
Crispy Smashed Potato Pancakes with Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, Bacon and Eggs
Crispy Parmesan Roast Potatoes
One-pan Paprika Roast Chicken
Crispy Roast Potatoes