Marinara sauce is one of those pantry staples that I always want to have on hand and it turns out that it is super easy to make your own! I always want to have a good marinara sauce on around because it can be used in so many different recipes (see below for some ideas) and this homemade version is simply the best! This marinara sauce starts out with a combination of olive oil and butter and it is seasoned with garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano before adding the tomatoes along with onion wedges and fresh basil. The sauce is simmered for a bit to reduce and thicken before removing the basil and onion and adding salt and pepper to taste. This marinara sauce is great fresh and it keeps in the fridge for a couple of days, in the freezer for months and if you use proper canning you can store jars of it in your pantry so that you have it on hand when you need it!
It is amazing served simply on pasta!
Optionally with a touch of parmesan!
A quick, easy and tasty homemade marinara sauce with plenty of basil!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed with juices
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
- 2 sprigs basil
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil and butter in a sauce pan over medium heat until the butter has melted, add the garlic, oregano and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and basil, bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until reduce by half, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the onion and basil and season with salt to taste and enjoy or let cool and store in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Option: Replace the butter with more oil.
Option: Omit the fresh basil and use 2 teaspoons of dried basil for a more pantry friendly version.
Quinoa Crusted Chicken Parmesan
Parmesan Crusted Baked Zucchini Sticks with Marinara Sauce
Involtini di Melanzane (Eggplant Rolls)
Eggplant Parmesan (Melanzane di Parmagiana)
Fried Green Tomato Parmesan
Grilled Eggplant and Goats Cheese Tower
Arancini di Riso (Rice Balls)
Eggplant Wrapped Kebabs Baked in Tomato Sauce
Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Frittata topped with Marinara and Mozzarella
Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Omelette Topped with Marinara Sauce
Eggplant Tortino in a Kalamata Olive Marinara Sauce
Italian Style Baked Eggs
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
Zucchini Pizza Bites
Eggplant Parmesan Stuffed Eggplant
Eggplant and Mozzarella Panini
Eggplant Parmesan (Lasagna Style)
Sausage and Pepper Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Creamy Pesto Caprese Pasta Casserole
Meatball Parmesan Dip
Chicken Parmesan Dip
Corn and Zucchini Ricotta Stuffed Shells
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
Asparagus Pesto and Ricotta Stuffed Shells