Spaghetti alla puttanesca is a classic Italian pasta dish with a sauce consisting of tomatoes, olive oil, anchovies, olives, capers and garlic. I make spaghetti alla puttanesca fairly often and sometimes I like to add chicken to the mix, especially chicken thighs, with their crispy and tasty skins! After browning the chickens skin in a pan it is simmered/braised/roasted in the sauce so that all of the juices and drippings infuses the sauce with the chickens flavour! You can either make this quickly, in less than 30 minutes, or you can do it as a slower braise/roast which will bring out even more of the flavours depending on whether you have the time or if you want the flavour. Throw the chicken puttanesca on some pasta and you have one quick, easy, tasty and hearty meal!
Chicken in a quick, easy and flavour packed tomato, olive and caper sauce!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs (bone in and skin on)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or marinara sauce)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 cup olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano (or italian seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken thighs (seasoned with salt and pepper) and cook until lightly golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes before adding the garlic, red pepper flakes, and anchovies and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon while the broth simmers.
- Add the tomatoes, capers, olives, oregano and chicken, cover and simmer on medium-low heat until the chicken is cooked, about 15 minutes. OR Add the tomatoes, capers, olives, oregano and chicken, cover (with a lid or foil) and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until the chicken is cooked, about 15 minutes. OR Place everything in a slow cooker and cook until the chicken is done, about 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low.
Option: Replace the chicken thighs with drumsticks, legs or breasts.
Option: Use boneless and skinless chicken.
Option: Replace the broth with white wine or clam juice.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon tomato paste.
Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
Rustic Roasted Garlic Chicken with Asiago Gravy
French Onion Chicken
Chicken Cacciatore (Hunter Style Chicken)
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Goat Cheese Skillet Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Skillet Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Tagliatelle Short-rib Bolognese
Fish and Zucchini Puttanesca Stew
Tuna and Caper Tomato Pasta
One Pan Greek Lemon Chicken Rice with Roast Garlic