Doing pizza night tonight? Instead of reaching for that jar of store bought pizza sauce, how about making your own? Homemade pizza sauce is so easy to make and it’s so much better than store bought! It’s as easy to make as simmering some garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes in tomatoes along with some basil and onions until the sauce has thickened. It does take a few minutes to thicken up so make it ahead of time for a super easy pizza night!
Pizza night pepperoni pizza never tasted so good!
Make a lot and store it in the freezer or can it for later!
A quick and easy homemade pizza sauce that’s better than store bought!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed with juices
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
- 2 sprigs fresh basil
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil and butter in a sauce pan over medium heat until the butter has melted, add the garlic, oregano and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and basil, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the onion and basil and season with salt to taste and enjoy or let cool and store in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Option: Replace the fresh basil with 2 teaspoons dried basil for a more pantry friendly version.
Zucchini Pizza Bites
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
Pepperoni Pizza Cauliflower Casserole
Pizza Quesadillas (aka Pizzadillas)
Pizza with Grilled Chicken, Roasted Red Peppers, and Asiago Cheese
No Crust Pepperoni Pizza
Pizza Stuffed Chicken
Crispy Tortilla Skillet Pizza
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
Deep Dish Pizza
Chicago Style Thin Crust Pizza