I am a fan of pizza pf all types and one type that I really enjoy is Chicago style deep dish pizza. This kind of pizza is more like a pie than a flatbread like regular pizza and I usually make it in a cast iron pan or a spring form pan so it’s around 1.5-2 inches deep! Now that’s a lot of filling!
Before I get to the filling we need to talk about the crust. The crust is a little thinner, a little buttery-er, a little crispier, and sometimes theres two layers. The recipe for the crust is similar to a regular pizza dough with some of the flour replaced with cornmeal and it has layers of butter folded into it which makes it nice a light, thin, crisp and buttery! I mentioned two crusts and that’s because there are two main styles of deep dish pizza, the regular one with one crust on the bottom and the so call ‘stuffed’ one where there is a second layer of crust on top of the meat and cheese but below the sauce and this second crust helps to hold the pie together.
The deep dish pizza may sound a little more intimidating to make than a regular pizza but it’s actually really easy! You roll out the dough, place it in a pie dish, top it with the filling like meat, followed by the cheese, the optional second crust and finally the pizza sauce. Everything is baked in the oven, a little longer than a normal pizza, and you good to dig in to this pizza that eats more like a lasagna!
An traditional deep dish pizza recipe that is better than takeout/delivery!
Deep Dish Pizza
An easy to make authentic Chicago style deep dish pizza with sausage, pepperoni and bacon; stuffed!
- 1 1/4 cups luke-warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (1 packet)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1/3 inch pieces
- 4 ounces pepperoni, sliced thinly
- 1 pound mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 4 ounces provolone, deli sliced (optional)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
For the dough:
For the pizza:
- Mix the sugar into the water followed by the yeast and let it sit for 10 minutes, or until the yeast starts to foam/bubble.
- Mix in the butter followed by the mixture of the flour, cornmeal, and salt, until it forms a dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until it is soft and elastic (a finger pressed into it will leave an indent that will bounce back out a little) before dividing in two and transferring to two greased bowls, covering it and letting it sit at a little higher higher than room temperature until it rises to double in size, about 2 hours.
- One at a time, knock the dough down, roll it out into a large disc, spread half the butter over half of the dough and fold the other half over onto the buttered half before folding in half again and again and again, before forming into balls, transferring them back to their bowls and letting sit covered, while you make the filling.
- Cook the sausage, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks, and set aside.
- Cook the bacon and set it aside.
- Roll the first dough out and place it in a buttered/greased cast iron pan or spring-form pan, sprinkle the sausage in, followed by the pepperoni, bacon, mozzarella, parmesan, and spread the provolone slices on top before rolling the second dough out and placing it on top, trimming any excess dough and crimping the top closed.
- Poke a couple of holes in the top crust, spread the pizza sauce over the top and bake in a preheated 425F/220C oven until the crust is golden brown crispy and good, about 20-30 minutes.
For the dough:
For the pizza:
Option: Omit the top crust layer, placing it in the fridge or freezer until you make pizza again.
Option: Sprinkle some parmesan over the top!
Crispy Tortilla Skillet Pizza
Pizza Quesadillas (aka Pizzadillas)
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
No Crust Pepperoni Pizza
Stuffed Crust Pizza Dip
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza
Shrimp Scampi Pizza
Chicago Style Thin Crust Pizza
Lasagna Stuffed Peppers