Last year when I made my eggplant pizzas for the first time I just knew that I would have to try a zucchini version! I already knew that zucchini works amazingly well as a pizza crust since I make zucchini crust pizzas throughout zucchini season so simplifying things a bit and just using slices of zucchini for the pizza ‘crust’ sounded perfect! Most zucchini that you get in the grocery store these days are relatively small so these pizzas are bite sized but if you head out to your famers market you should be able to get some pretty large zucchini, say about 3-5 inched across, for even larger zucchini pizzas. These zucchini pizzas are super simple to make, you just need to pre-cook the zucchini a bit, top them with pizza sauce, cheese and your favourite pizza toppings and broil them until the cheese melts. You could easily serve these zucchini pizza bites as snacks or as dinner and they are a great way to get your kids to eat more vegetables!
Zucchini Pizza Bites
Prep Time:10 minutes Cook Time:10 minutes Total Time:20 minutes Servings: 24-36 pizza bites
Bite sized pizzas with zucchini slice ‘crusts’.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 ounce pepperoni (mini or quartered full sized)
- oregano or italian seasoning to taste
- Brush or spray the zucchini slices with oil on both sides, season with salt and pepper, grill, broil or saute until just tender, about 1-2 minutes per side, place them on a greased baking sheet, top them with sauce, cheese and pepperoni and broil until the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes, before optionally sprinkling with oregano or italian seasoning to taste.
Option: Use you favourite pizza toppings!