With the cold weather here I have been craving comfort food and one of my favourite comfort food dishes is the pepperoni pizza casserole. Although I will never cease to enjoy digging into a plate of this casserole it is a little high on the calories and the carbs so I thought that I would make a new, lighter, version using cauliflower as the base rather than pasta. This casserole is super easy to make, you simply cook the cauliflower, and I like to roast it since it add that caramelized flavour, mix it with some pizza sauce and your favourite pizza toppings, top it with cheese and more of your favourite toppings and bake it until it is golden brown and bubbling. With all of the different toppings to choose from this cauliflower pizza casserole will never get boring and you can’t go wrong with the classic pepperoni topping!
All of the flavours of pizza in a lighter cauliflower casserole!
Puree the cauliflower and serve as a lighter alternative to pizza dip while watching the game!
Cauliflower Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
All of the flavours of a pepperoni pizza in a low carb cauliflower casserole!
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 2 ounces pepperoni
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- Toss the cauliflower in the oil, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until it starts to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing half way through.
- Mix the cauliflower, pizza sauce, pepperoni and olives, reserving some pepperoni and olives, place in a baking dish, sprinkle on the cheese followed by the reserved toppings and the oregano.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese has melted and the sides are bubbling, about 20 minutes.
Option: Steam the cauliflower instead of roasting it.
Option: Puree the cauliflower and turn it into a side or a dip!
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
BBQ Chicken Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Chipotle BBQ Bacon and Grilled Corn Zucchini Crust Pizza
Pizza Quesadillas (aka Pizzadillas)
Cauliflower Enchilada Casserole
Cheesy Margherita Pizza Hummus with Pesto Pita Chips
Stuffed Crust Pizza Dip
Pizza Stuffed Chicken
Pepperoni Pizza Spaghetti Squash