I had been wanting to try making arancini di riso for a while now. Arancini di riso are fried balls of rice. The balls of rice commonly contain things like ragu, mozzarella, peas, etc. You can make the rice from scratch for the arancini but it is a great way to breath some fresh life into your leftover risotto. Normally risotto disappears before I think about making arancini but this time I made sure to leave enough of the pea barley risotto to make the “rice” balls. I decided to keep it simple and just add a cube of mozzarella cheese since my risotto already had peas in it. I had some leftover marinara sauce in the freezer and I though that it would be a good idea to serve the rice balls on some of it. The rice balls are fairly easy to make. It is pretty much the same as any other breaded fried food; You dip the rice balls into the egg, then the bread crumbs, and then you fry them. I used the risotto directly from the fridge so it was cold, easy to work with and it held together. The arancini on marinara sauce were really tasty! They were nice and crispy on the outside and warm and gooey on the inside. Both the mozzarella and the parmigiano reggiano in the risotto had melted.
Arancini di Riso (Rice Balls)
- 4 cups risotto
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese cut into cubes
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Form the rice into balls and press the cheese into the middle.
- Roll the rice balls in the egg to coat.
- Roll the rice balls into a mixture of the the parmigiano reggiano and the bread crumbs to coat.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Fry the rice balls in the oil until golden brown on all sides.