After having enjoyed the Mexican baked eggs so much, I was wondering what other ways that I could do baked eggs. Almost naturally I came to the idea of Italian style baked where the eggs are baked in a tasty marinara sauce and topped with with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. The idea was pretty simple but as soon as I had it I knew that I would have to make it! It almost seemed like an egg parmesan take on eggplant parmesan which I am really into!
This recipe is pretty easy to make and if you use a store bough marinara sauce it requires very little time, though a homemade marinara sauce is the way I like to go. There is one catch to this recipe and that is that if you want those runny egg yolks, and who doesn’t, you need to pull the eggs out of the oven just at the right time. It can take a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it, this dish is great for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast of brunch. I like to serve these Italian style baked eggs with some crusty bread to make sure that none of that runny egg yolk or the tasty marinara sauce escapes.
Italian Style Baked Eggs
Eggs baked in a tasty marinara sauce and topped with melted cheese served with some crusty bread.
- 4 cups marinara sauce, warm
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella, grated
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 1 small loaf crusty bread such as ciabatta
- Place half of the marinara sauce into one or more baking dishes, top with the eggs, spoon the remaining sauce around the eggs and sprinkle on the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the egg just start to set, about 4-7 minutes and broil then until the cheese melts, about a minute.
- Serve garnished with parsley and a side of crusty bread.