Lately I have been thinking about lighter meals and this chicken francaise is perfect! Chicken Francaise (aka Chicken French) is an Italian-American dish where thin pieces of chicken are dipped in flour followed by egg before frying them until crispy and they are served in a butter, garlic and lemon sauce! This dish is not to be confused with chicken piccata which is also an Italian dish where chicken is dipped in egg followed by flour (note the reversed order) before frying and it is served in a butter, garlic , lemon and caper sauce. This recipe is as easy as it sounds and it takes less than 30 minutes to make! The crispy fried chicken goes so well with the magically delicious lemon-butter and garlic sauce! (I am usually licking my plate clean after inhaling the chicken, to make sure that I get every last drop of the tasty sauce!) I like to serve this over pasta (or rice) to soak up the sauce!
Garlic lemon butter chicken! Yum!
A light an tasty Chicken Francaise (aka French style chicken) in a lemon butter sauce that is so easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth (or white wine)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste, dredge in the flour, shake off any excess, dip into the egg, shake off excess, and fry in the oil until lightly golden brown on both sides before setting aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and heat, over medium heat, until it sizzles before adding the garlic and red pepper flakes and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and lemon juice, bring to a boil and simmer until it thickens a bit, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mix in the butter and parsley and serve over the chicken!
Option: Replace some or all of the broth with a dry white wine.
Honey Lemon Chicken
Pan Seared Chicken Breasts in a Mushroom, Tarragon and Mustard Pan Sauce
Chicken in a Creamy Parmesan and Sundried Tomato Sauce
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Creamy Lemon Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Skillet Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Goat Cheese Skillet Chicken
Thai Peanut Chicken Saute
Balsamic Maple Dijon Chicken with Bacon Sauce
Creamy Bacon Honey Dijon Skillet Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Cilantro Lime Skillet Chicken
Pan Seared Balsamic Strawberry Chicken and Brie
Crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken