I seem to have been on quite the lemon kick lately! This week it’s a honey lemon chicken which is a dish that I enjoy ordering when eating out at Chinese restaurants. I thought that I would try my hand at making it at home and I wanted to try keeping it on the lighter side. Normally the honey lemon chicken comes fried in a crispy batter but I decided to go with simply sauteing the chicken. I cooked the chicken as the full breast and then sliced it as that is how it normally comes but I was thinking that you could easily cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, add some vegetables and turn this into more of a stir-fry. Next up was the sauce which I kept nice and simple with pretty much just the honey and the lemon. I did add a bunch of ginger for a bit of a kick though. The honey lemon chicken was a snap to make and it turned out really well. Lemon pairs well with honey and works surprisingly well in savoury dishes like this. I served the honey lemon chicken with some steamed broccoli and some brown rice which did an excellent job of soaking up all of the extra sauce.
Honey Lemon Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the chicken and saute until golden brown and cooked through and set aside.
- Add the ginger and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, honey, stock, salt and pepper and reduce to thicken. (Note: Do a taste test here to make sure that the lemon and honey balance nicely.)
- Pour the honey lemon sauce over the chicken.
Honey Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
Halibut Piccata with Baby Artichokes on Quinoa
Creamy Lemon Chicken
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Sesame Chicken
Cilantro Lime Skillet Chicken
Honey and Lime Jalapeno Chicken
20 Minute Skinny Sesame Chicken
Lemon Chicken Romano
General Tso’s Chicken
Chicken Gnocchi in a Creamy Lemon and Caper Sauce