Today I have a Chinese takeout sesame chicken recipe to share! A classic American-Chinese dish is sesame chicken with bite sized pieces of chicken in a crispy coating in a tasty sauce infused with sesame flavour and aroma. This dish is super quick and easy to make and it starts with coating the chicken in a combination of egg and cornstarch that is fried in a little oil until golden brown and crispy. The next part is the sauce which is made by mixing all of the ingredients and cooking the sauce in the pan until it thickens before adding the chicken and tossing to coat. That’s it! Serve over steamed rice or noodles along with a veggie and you have a meal in 20 minutes!
If you prefer a lighter version without the crispy fried coating: Light Sesame Chicken Recipe
Crispy chicken in a quick, easy and tasty sesame sauce!
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons oil (peanut or vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce (such as sambal oelek)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Mix the chicken into the egg until fully coated before mixing in the corn starch until just evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken, separate, and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mixture of the broth, sugar, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, chili sauce and cornstarch, bring to a boil and simmer until it thickens a bit, about a minute.
- Add the chicken, toss to coat, remove from heat, mix in the sesame oil, sesame seeds and green onions and enjoy over rice or noodles
20 Minute Skinny Sesame Chicken
20 Minute Light Cashew Chicken
20 Minute Light Sweet and Sour Chicken
20 Minute Light Orange Chicken
20 Minute Skinny Mongolian Beef
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Sesame Chicken
Sweet and Sour Pork
Slow Cooker Chicken Carnitas Tacos
Honey Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
Honey Lemon Chicken
Kung Pao Chicken
Creamy Lemon Chicken
Quick and Easy Beef and Pepper Stir-fry
Pineapple Char Siu Pulled Pork Sliders
Spicy Peanut Chicken Rice Bowl
Sweet Chili Chicken Rice Bowl
Honey and Lime Jalapeno Chicken
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Slow Cooker Peanut Chicken Sweet Potato Boats
Skillet Sweet Chili Chicken
Sticky Honey Sriracha Chicken Bites
General Tso’s Chicken
Your recipes are wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.
All the best to you and yours.
Kim connelly says
My mouth is watering right now!!! I am going to make this recipe tomorrow!!! It looks so yummy!
You recipe does not say when to add the chicken back into pan. Do I add it after the sauce thickens?
Yes, the chicken is added once the sauce has thickened. I have updated the recipe! Enjoy!
I made this tonight for my family and everyone raved about it. Tastes as good or better than take out Sesame Chicken. This recipe is a keeper! Thanks!
Joyce h says
Just made this for dinner – it is delicious.I will definitely be making this again.
Joyce h says
I used chicken tenders
This turned out to be really good! Thank you!