Chinese takeout is always fun but it’s also so super easy to make at home! This sweet and sour pork takes almost no time to make from scratch and it’s so much better than takeout! You start out by dipping the pork in egg and coating it in cornstarch before frying it in some oil until it’s nice and golden brown and crispy! Next you cook some veggies, such as red peppers and pineapple, and make the sweet and sour sauce with honey, pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, chili sauce ketchup, garlic and ginger. This combination of ingredients gives the sauce a really nice blend of sweet, sour, salty and spicy and you can control the amounts of each ingredient so you can get it just the way you like it! The dish is finished off with a garnish of green onions and a dash of sesame oil which adds that amazing aroma that I associate with Chinese takeout.
Feel free to omit the egg and cornstarch and drop the oil down to one tablespoon for a lighter version!
The ketchup is there to add colour to the sauce and you can feel free to omit that!
Add extra veggies!
Sweet and Sour Pork
A quick and easy homemade sweet and sour pork that is so much better than takeout!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (optional)
- 1 pound pork (butt, shoulder, loin or tenderloin), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup pineapple, sliced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chill sauce such as sambal oelek or sriracha
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice or chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, dip the pork in the egg, dredge in the cornstarch, add it to the pan, and cook until lightly golden brown and crispy, about 2-4 minutes per side before setting aside. (Work in batches.)
- Add the red pepper and pineapple and cook until just tender but still crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mixture of the honey, vinegar, ketchup, chill sauce, pineapple juice, garlic, ginger, the mixture of the water and the corn starch along with the pork, toss to coat and cook until the sauce thickens, about a minute.
- Remove from heat, mix in the sesame oil and serve garnished with sliced green onions.
Option: Use vegetables your favourite vegetables.
20 Minute Light Orange Chicken
20 Minute Light Mongolian Beef
Quick and Easy Beef and Pepper Stir-fry
Tacos al Pastor
Quesadillas al Pastor
BBQ Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Nachos
Pineapple Char Siu Pulled Pork Sliders
Blackberry Hoisin BBQ Ribs
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Sesame Chicken
Honey and Lime Jalapeno Chicken
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef