Mongolian beef is a classic Chinese takeout dish that typically consists of of thinly sliced strips of beef in a tasty sauce served over rice. This is quick and easy take on the dish replacing the strips of beef with ground beef and otherwise it is pretty much the same. Ground beef is commonly on sale and since you don’t need to do anything to prepare it, this recipe as easy as throwing it in a pan to cook while you get the sauce ready. The sauce consists of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, chili sauce, garlic and ginger along with some corn starch to thicken it. I like to finish the dish off with a bit of toasted sesame oil and green onions but you could easily add some veggies such as sliced bell peppers, snap peas, etc. It only takes 20 minutes to prepare so you can easily cook some rice or noodles at the same time for a complete meal! The next time that you are thinking about ordering takeout, remember that this Mongolian ground beef is super easy to make and it take less time than it takes to deliver!
Mongolian Ground Beef
A quick and easy homemade ground beef version of Chinese Mongolian beef takeout!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free or tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce such as sambal oelek (or to taste)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Cook the ground beef in a large pan over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Mix the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, chili sauce, garlic, ginger, cornstarch and water, add to the pan along, with the green onions, and cook until the sauce thickens a bit, about a minute.
- Remove from heat, mix in the sesame oil.
Option: Garnish with toasted sesame seeds or chopped peanuts.
20 Minute Light Mongolian Beef
Beef and Garlic Snap Snape-Fry
Honey Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef)
Asparagus, Beef and Shiitake Mushroom Stir-fry
Quick and Easy Beef and Pepper Stir-fry
20 Minute Thai Basil Beef
Steak and Peppers in Black Bean Sauce
Gyudon (Beef Rice Bowl)
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Sesame Chicken
Sweet and Sour Pork
Honey and Lime Jalapeno Chicken
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Sichuan Poached Beef (Shuizhu)
Chimichurri Grilled Steak