Over the last little while I have been craving some char siu bao or Chinese bbq pork buns and it was finally time to satisfy that craving. Of course the first step to making the char siu bao was to make the cha siu or Chinese bbq pork. Char siew is actually pretty easy to make, you simply marinate the meat in a sauce that is flavoured primarily with hoisin sauce and a hint of five spice. After marinating you roast the pork and then broil it for a few minutes to get a slightly charred and crispy outside. Given that you are roasting the pork in the oven I recommend using a fattier cut of pork like the butt or the shoulder. A pork tenderloin is wasted for this and it can end up being a little on the dry side. Once the pork has finished roasting it is served sliced thinly. Char siu is commonly a bright red colour and you can feel free to add some red food colouring to the marinade if you like. I served my char siu on rice along with some steamed bok choy in an oyster sauce with fried shallots .
Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons xiao hsing wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 teaspoon garlic (grated, optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated, optional)
- 1 (2 pound) pork butt or shoulder (cut into long slices about 1 inch thick)
- Mix all of the ingredients, brush half of the mixture over the pork and let marinate, in the fridge, for a few hours to over night.
- Roast in a preheated 350F/180C oven for 30 minutes.
- Flip, marinate and roast for another 30 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler and broil for 5 minutes on each side.
- Let rest for 10 minutes, slice thinly and serve with remaining sauce.
Pineapple Char Siu Pulled Pork Sliders
Mu Shu Pork
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich with Slaw
Bacon Wrapped Roast Pork with Apple Chutney
Tacos al Pastor
Quick and Easy Beef and Pepper Stir-fry
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Chashu Pork Recipe (Marinated Braised Pork Belly)
Mongolian Ground Beef