Sichuan poached beef (aka shuizhu) is a tasty Chinese dish where the beef is boiled in broth until it is just cooked and super tender and seasoned with chilies, garlic, Sichuan peppercorns! It is so easy to make, light and healthy and full of flavour! Serve it over veggies and rice for a complete meal.
This recipe starts out by
marinating the beef in baking soda to help tenderize it before rinsing the baking soda off. I like to use a tender cut of beef like a strip loin or a tenderloin but a flank steak cut thinly against the grain is also perfect! Veggies, I like bean sprouts, mushrooms or Chinese greens, broccoli, etc are steamed or sauteed until just tender and placed in a large serving dish. Other than the sublimely tender beef the seasonings are the stars of the show and they include mouth numbing sichuan peppercorns, spicy bean paste, chili oil, and aromatic sesame oil! Once the beef has been poached in the sauce it’s poured over the vegetables and you are ready to enjoy it along with a bowl of rice!
Plenty of veggies!
Sichuan Poached Beef (Shuizhu)
A quick and easy sichuan style dish with super tender beef that is poached in a tasty and spicy broth .
- 1 pound beef, thinly sliced across grain
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pound bean sprouts
- 4 ounces enoki mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated/minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated/minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced and seprated into whites and greens
- 3 tablespoons doubanjiang (chili bean paste)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, toasted and ground
- Marinate the beef in the mixture of the water and baking soda for 1 hour before rinsing. (optional)
- Place the bean sprouts and mushrooms in a large pan/wok and heat until just starting to wilt, before transferring to a large serving dish.
- Heat the oil in the same pan over medium heat, add the Sichuan peppercorns, garlic, ginger, the whites of the green onions and doubanjiang and cook until fragrant before adding the broth and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil, add the beef and cook until the beef is just cooked, about 2-3 mintues, before adding the chili oil, sesame oil and cinaltro.
- Pour the beef over the bean sprouts and mushrooms in the serving dish and garnish with the green onions and toasted and ground Sichuan peppercorns.
Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)
Kung Pao Chicken
Bang Bang Chicken
Green Beans with Sichuan Pork
Kung Pao Chicken Salad with Sichuan Dressing
Quick and Easy Beef and Pepper Stir-fry
Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef)
20 Minute Light Mongolian Beef