Beef stroganoff is a classic meal for good reason! It’s quick and easy to make and just packed with flavour! Normally you slice the steak up and saute it but I was thinking that it would be nice to sear the whole steak and then slice it! This way you get a nice a juicy, tender steak that is cooked just the way you like it and you still have that tasty sauce! Speaking of the sauce, it starts with onions and mushrooms that are cooked until the mushrooms caramelize and turn a nice golden brown. Caramelizing the mushrooms like this takes a bit longer but it adds so much flavour! The sauce is then seasoned with garlic, thyme and paprika before adding some flour to help thicken the sauce and the beef broth and scraping all of the brown bits of flavour stuck to the bottom of the pan up into the sauce. The remaining seasonings add an umami flavour punch in the form of worcestershire sauce and fish sauce along with some mustard to help bind the sauce and keep a nice smooth consistency. My mother and grandmother always made stroganoff with dried dill and I continue to use it even though it does not seem to be a standard ingredient in stroganoff. Of course the sauce is finished off with a nice dollop of sour cream to bring it all together with that creaminess that stroganoff is famous for. This version of steak stroganoff is quick and easy to make and it’s also ‘classy’ enough to serve to guests who will certainly enjoy this flavour packed meal!
I recent addition that I find I enjoy is seared pearl/baby/mini onions which add even more sweet onions flavour that bursts in your mouth!
A ‘classy’ take on beef stroganoff using sliced seared steak smothered in the super tasty, umami packed mushroom, onion, paprika and sour cream sauce! Yum!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound steak (such as rib eye, strip, etc.)
- salt, pepper and paprika to taste
- 1 onion, diced or sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dry thyme)
- 2 teaspoons paprika*
- 2 tablespoons flour (or rice flour)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (or soy sauce or tamari)
- 2 teaspoons dried dill (optional)*
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the steak and cook until lightly browned, about 2-4 minutes per side (or the desired level of doneness), before setting aside.
- Add the onion and mushroom and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids, the liquids have cooked off and the mushroom start to caramelize and turn light golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme, sprinkle on the flour and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan into the sauce with a wooden spoon.
- Add the mustard, worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, and dill and simmer until the sauce thickens a bit, about 2-3 minutes, before removing from heat and mixing in the sour cream and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Slice the steak and serve it on top of the sauce on a plate full of egg noodles!
Option: Start by cooking 4 strips bacon cut into 1 inch pieces and use the bacon grease to cook the steak and veggies in instead of oil and butter adding the bacon back into the sauce near the end!
Option: I like smoked hot paprika for this but your favourite type of paprika will work!
Option: I like dried dill in this but it is a none standard ingredient so feel free to omit it.
Option: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes with the garlic for a bit of heat.
Option: Add small/baby/pearl onions in addition to the diced onion for even more onion flavour!
Option: Instead of the fish sauce use 1-2 tablespoons white miso paste.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon tomato paste to the sauce.
Option: Add 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese) for an even more flavourful sauce!
Mushroom and Peppercorn Crusted Steak in a Creamy Brie Mushroom Sauce
Pork Chops in a Mushroom Paprika Sauce
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Steak Tenderloin in a Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Pan Seared Chicken Breasts in a Mushroom, Tarragon and Mustard Pan Sauce
Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
Juicy Eye of Round Roast Beef
Chickpea and Red Pepper Paprika
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Slow Braised Beef Stroganoff Soup
Pan Seared Steaks with Sauteed Mushrooms and Roasted Garlic Gorgonzola Butter
Pan Seared Steaks with Balsamic Red Onions and Roasted Garlic and Porcini Mushroom Goat Cheese Butter
Gyudon (Japanese Beef Rice Bowl)
Garlic Butter Skillet Steak Bites and Potatoes
Chicken Fried Steak
Cocoa Crusted Steak with Shishito Peppers
Cajun Garlic Butter Steak Bites
Pan Seared Steak in Creamy Peppercorn Sauce
Pan Seared Steak in Blue Cheese Sauce