I first came across this recipe for a Hungarian mushroom soup a few years ago on All Recipes and as soon as I tried it, it became a favourite and a staple! I am a big fan of mushrooms and you really cannot go wrong with a tasty paprika and sour cream sauce so combining them all in a soup is bound to be loads of tasty! The final component of the flavour profile for this soup is the dill which I always enjoy using and it makes this soup truly sublime! Not only is this soup all sorts of goodness but it is also easy to make and it comes together fairly quickly so it is certainly a candidate for a weeknight meal. The one thing that you want to pay attention to when making it is when you add the flour, you want to make sure that you cook it well before moving on to add the liquids so that you do not end up with the taste of raw flour in your soup.
Serve garnished with sour cream, a touch of paprika and a bit of fresh dill.
My original photo from 2007:
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
A Hungarian style mushroom soup seasoned with paprika, dill and sour cream.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful fresh dill, chopped (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and it has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in the flour and paprika and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, dill, soy sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the sour cream and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper before adding the dill.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Pork Chops in a Mushroom Paprika Sauce
Creamy Mushroom and Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Pot Roast Mushroom Soup
Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
Chickpea and Red Pepper Paprika
Slow Braised Beef Stroganoff Soup
Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup