I recently came across the concept of steak with blue cheese that sounded like a really nice combination. I had heard of this in the past but that was back when I did not fully appreciate a good blue cheese. Now that I have been enjoying blue cheeses I could not resist one of my favorite treats, a nicely seared medium rare steak, with blue cheese it quickly made it to my meal plan. While I was searching for recipes I came across one that combined another of my favorite foods, mushrooms that had me sold immediately. I eventually ended up going with this recipe for steak in a mushroom and blue cheese sauce . The only real change that I made was swapping the rosemary for some thyme which I think goes better with mushrooms. For the blue cheese I went with a nice creamy gorgonzola dolce. The steaks cooked easily and quickly and the mushroom and blue cheese sauce was nice and straight forward to make. The results were absolutely amazing!! There was a nice slightly crisp crust on the outside of the steaks and the insides were nice and moist and tender and perfectly medium rare. The mushroom and blue cheese sauce was nice and creamy and tangy and oh so lick your plate clean good! I will definitely be making this mushroom and blue cheese sauce again! I served the steak in the mushroom and blue cheese sauce with some herb roasted onions and some roasted squash with gorgonzola and maple syrup .
Steak Tenderloin in a Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
- 2 large steaks or 4 small steaks (your favorite cut and thickness)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 splash brandy
- 1/2 cup blue cheese (crumbled)
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the steaks and sear at high heat until done to your preference, about 2-4 minutes per side for rare to medium rare.
- Let the steaks rest in a heated oven until ready to eat.
- Melt the butter in the same pan.
- Add the onion and saute at medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add the broth and brandy and deglaze the pan and simmer until it has reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and stir in the blue cheese and pour over the steaks.
Beef Wellington Tarts with Mushroom Blue Cheese Sauce
Double Smoked Bacon Wrapped Fillet Mignon with Caramelized Mushrooms
Burgers Smothered in a Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
Gnocchi in a Gorgonzola Sauce Topped with Fried Mushrooms
Shiitake Mushroom and Blue Cheese Crostini
Steak Tenderloin in a Green Peppercorn Sauce
Sichuan Peppercorn Tenderloin Steak
Steak Tenderloin in Pink Peppercorn Sauce
Chicken and Chanterelles on Spinach and Wild Rice
Pumpkin and Mushroom Pasta with Gorgonzola
Spinach Salad with Bacon, Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms and Blue Cheese in a Bacon Pan Sauce Dressing Topped with a Hard Boiled Egg
Mushroom and Peppercorn Crusted Steak in a Creamy Brie Mushroom Sauce
Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Pan Seared Steaks with Sauteed Mushrooms and Roasted Garlic Gorgonzola Butter
Pan Seared Steaks with Balsamic Red Onions and Roasted Garlic and Porcini Mushroom Goat Cheese Butter
Garlic Butter Skillet Steak Bites and Potatoes