Burger season is finally here and I have been waiting for it! A while ago I made a steak tenderloin in a mushroom and blue cheese sauce and while I was eating it I thought that the sauce would go great on a burger. I have just been itching to try the burgers with caramelized onions, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce ever since. Normally when I make burgers I make them with a theme where I add lots of flavours and ingredients directly to the burgers to add flavour and help keep them moist when they cook. This time however I wanted a basic, unflavoured burger so that the flavours of the sauce would not get lost. In an effort to make sure that the burgers stayed nice and moist I went with a fattier ground beef at about 70/30. The burger recipe itself is quite basic, being just the ground beef seasoned with some salt and pepper. The key to adding flavour here is to cook the burgers on high heat to caramelize or slightly char the outside while leaving the inside nice and moist. The burgers with caramelized onions, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce turned out nicely! The sauce was so tasty and it went really well on the burgers. Caramelized onions, mushrooms and blue cheese is such a great flavour combination! The burger patties themselves were nice and moist despite the high heat cooking. I served the burgers on slightly grilled whole wheat buns with a side of sweet potato fries.
Burgers Smothered in a Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
Perfectly grilled burgers topped with a caramelized onion, mushroom and blue cheese sauce that will send you mouth to heaven!
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 buns
- 1/2 cup caramelized onion, mushroom and blue cheese sauce (see below)
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices tomato
- Form the beef into 4 patties and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat, brush with oil and grill the burgers until cooked, about 3-5 minutes per side and set aside.
- Lightly grill the buns, assemble the burgers and enjoy.
Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
Caramelized onions and mushroom combined with creamy and tangy blue cheese makes for an amazing topping for burgers or other sandwiches.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 splash brandy
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the onion and saute at medium heat until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the brandy and broth and deglaze the pan.
- Simmer until it has reduced by half, about 3-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the blue cheese.
Steak Tenderloin in a Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
Beef Wellington Tarts with Mushroom Blue Cheese Sauce
Thai Peanut Turkey Burger
Salsa Verde Turkey Burger
Penne with Asparagus and Mushrooms in a Gorgonzola Sauce
Spinach Salad with Bacon, Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms and Blue Cheese in a Bacon Pan Sauce Dressing Topped with a Hard Boiled Egg
Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Tart
French Onion Soup
Black and Blue Steak Sandwich
Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka The Mushroom Melt)
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Blue Cheese and Bacon Potato Salad
Steak and Egg Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing