I tend to do my grocery shopping on Saturdays so Friday nights dinner very often turns into a clean out the fridge meal. This week I was enjoying the flavour combos of mushrooms and gorgonzola in the burgers smothered in a caramelized onion, mushroom and blue cheese sauce and asparagus and gorgonzola in the asparagus in gorgonzola sauce and I had some of each of the ingredients left over. Pastas are great for clean out the fridge meals and I immediately decided to make a pasta with asparagus and sauteed mushrooms in a gorgonzola sauce. My choice of pasta when using asparagus is penne for its similar shape and I had some whole wheat penne in my pantry that sounded perfect. Pastas like this are a breeze to make and this one turned out great! The gorgonzola sauce was so tasty and it went really well together with the asparagus and sauteed mushrooms. The juicy asparagus seemed to just burst in your mouth and cut through the creaminess of the sauce providing a nice contrast and cleansing your pallet for the next bite. I really like how these throw together, clean out the fridge, type of meals can turn out to be some of the best.
Penne with Asparagus and Mushrooms in a Gorgonzola Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound penne (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- 1 splash dry white wine
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 ounce gorgonzola (crumbled)
- 1/2 pound asparagus (cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1 inch slices shaped like penne)
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente, abut 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme to the pan and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the white wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the milk, heavy cream and gorgonzola.
- Place the asparagus into a primed steamer until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Simmer the sauce until it thickens, several minutes.
- Drain the pasta and toss in the gorgonzola sauce along with the asparagus and mushrooms.