I had some gorgonzola left over from the other night and I decided to make some pasta with a gorgonzola and caramelized onion sauce. This is a Bechamel sauce with cheese and caramelized onions. It was thick an sweet.
Gorgonzola and Caramelized Onion Sauce on Penne
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound onions (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour (rice flour or masa harina for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup gorganzola
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan.
- Add the onions and cook at med-low temperature until the onions are brown and caramelized, about 1 hour.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan.
- Add the flour and mix.
- Add the milk, cheese, and onions and heat until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thick.
Penne with Asparagus and Mushrooms in a Gorgonzola Sauce