Asparagus season is in full swing and I have really been enjoying it. Every week I pick up a lot of the asparagus at the local farmers market. Mostly I have just been enjoying it steamed as a side dish but I wanted to try something new. I remembered having seen several asparagus gratins in the past and I could not pass up on the chance of smothering some asparagus with cheese. After a little searching I came across this recipe for asparagus in a gorgonzola sauce . Gorgonzola is one of my favorite cheeses and I was immediatly sold on the concept. Another thing that I liked about this recipe is that the sauce includes leeks as I have been wanting to use leeks more often. This dish takes a bit more time to make than many side dishes but it was well worth the effort. The asparagus in gorgonzola sauce was amazing! The creamy and tangy blue cheese sauce was perfectly balanced by the juicy and slightly sweet asparagus. Each bite was like a melody in your mouth. The topping of bread crumbs and parmigiano reggiano was nice and crispy adding another layer of texture in addition to flavour. I think that this asparagus side dish will become a staple on my table during asparagus season.
Asparagus in Gorgonzola Sauce
- 1 pound asparagus (trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek (sliced)
- 2 sage leaves (chopped)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 ounce gorgonzola dolce (crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling water, rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the leek and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sage, heavy cream and gorgonzola and cook until it begins to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- Place the asparagus in a baking dish in a single layer.
- Pour the gorgonzola sauce over the asparagus and sprinkle with the parmesan and the bread crumbs.
- Place under a broiler and broil until golden brown on top, about 3-5 minutes.
Pistachio and Gorgonzola Risotto
Roasted Squash with Gorgonzola and Maple Syrup
Asparagus with Garam Masala, Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts
Parmigiano Reggiano Crusted Oven Roasted Asparagus
Penne with Asparagus and Mushrooms in a Gorgonzola Sauce
Maple Dijon Roasted Asparagus
Balsamic Parmesan Roasted Asparagus and Tomatoes
Tuscan Roast Asparagus