For my first use of the garam masala that I had just made I wanted something that showed off the garam masala. Many recipes that use garam masala look like it might get lost in all of the other flavours so I wanted something pretty simple. I remembered seeing
green beans with garam masala butter and toasted hazelnuts
which sounded like a nice way to fully experience the flavour of the garam masala. There was still a bit of local asparagus at the farmers market and I decided to swap out the green beans for asparagus. The asparagus with garam masala, butter and toasted hazel nuts turned out pretty good. I also liked the crunch that the hazelnuts added to the dish. I really like that such simple dishes can turn out so good. The garam masala had an amazing aroma and tasted just as good. With the first experiment with garam masala a success I am looking forward to trying it in a more complex dish.
Asparagus with Garam Masala, Butter and Toasted Hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 pound asparagus (trimmed)
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toast the nuts in a hot pan until golden brown.
- Remove the nuts from the pan and rub them between towels to remove the skins.
- Chop the nuts and set aside.
- Steam the asparagus until tender.
- Rinse the asparagus under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- When the butter is slightly browned add the garam masala and saute until fragrant.
- Add the asparagus and salt and toss to coat.
- Serve topped with the chopped nuts.