Today is National Mushroom day and I am cooking up a tasty mushroom and asiago sauce to serve on some soft and pillow-y cauliflower gnocchi! This mushroom sauce is so easy to make, you saute the mushrooms along with some onions in butter, add some garlic and thyme before creating the sauce with broth, cream and asiago cheese. I like to add a bit of green to this dish, and make it healthier, by adding plenty of baby spinach. The sauce only takes about 30 minutes to make and that is plenty of time to boil some water and cook the gnocchi making for a quick and easy meal that is definitely worthy of a special occasion!
Cauliflower Gnocchi in Asiago Mushroom and Spinach Sauce
Homemade cauliflower gnocchi in a creamy asiago mushroom and spinach sauce!
- 1 pound cauliflower gnocchi (or regular gnocchi)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 ounces button (or cremini) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms release their liquids, it’s absorbed and they start to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a minute.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan.
- Add the cream, bring to a boil and simmer to thicken, about 2-4 minutes, before mixing in the cheese and cooking until it melts.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before adding the spinach and letting it wilt.
- While the mushroom sauce is cooking: Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the gnocchi and cook until it floats before setting aside.
- Toss the gnocchi in the mushroom and enjoy , optionally topped with asiago cheese!
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso to the sauce just before adding the spinach.
Roast Head of Cauliflower in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Mushroom and Peppercorn Crusted Steak in a Creamy Brie Mushroom Sauce
Grilled Asparagus in a Creamy Balsamic Mushroom Sauce
Green Beans in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Beef Wellington Tarts with Mushroom Blue Cheese Sauce
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Looks wonderful, but where is the gnocchi recipe?
Found the gnocchi recipe-hadn’t read the entire recipe post before sending comment asking for gnocchi recipe-oy!
Melissa Martin says
Can the cream be replaced with coconut milk or cream?
Yes it can!
YUM!! i used regular pasta instead!!
We made this last night with milk, because we did not have any cream and Parmesan instead of asiago. It was absolutely delicious! We woke up this morning talking about how we need to make it again. Thank you!
I’m glad you like it! Parmesan works so well!