In addition to trying out some new grilled cheese recipes during National Grilled month I wanted to update a few older ones and top on my list was one of my favourites, the kimchi and bacon grilled cheese! Kimchi is a spicy fermented cabbage that works surprisingly well in a sandwich with lots of ooey gooey melted cheese! Bacon and kimchi are like a match made in heaven and I can hardly resist adding some to a kimchi grilled cheese! It actually works out kind of well since kimchi can be a little wet and since you don’t want a soggy grilled cheese is is a good idea to saute the kimchi a bit to reduce the excess liquid and using a little bit of the bacon grease works perfectly!
Kimchi and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Spicy kimchi and salty bacon are an amazing flavour combination that only gets better when bathed in melted cheese and wrapping in toasted buttery bread.
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2-4 tablespoons kimchi, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices bread
- 2 slices cheddar (or 1/2 cup shredded)
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat, set aside on paper towels to drain reserving 1 teaspoon of grease in the pan.
- Add the kimchi and saute until it starts to caramelize, about 3-5 minutes.
- Heat a clean pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, place one slice in the pan with buttered side down, top with half of the cheese, the kimchi, bacon, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread with buttered side up.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Kimchi Reuben Sandwich
Kimchi Chicken Salad Sandwich
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Green Tomato and Jalapeno Jam
Kimchi, Bacon and Shiitake Mushroom Pizza
Kimchi Chicken Melt
Brussels Sprout Hash with Sweet Potato and Bacon
Korean Meatloaf Patty Melt
Pot Roast Grilled Cheese French Dip Sandwich with Spicy Miso Au Jus