I recently learned about the All You Need is Cheese grilled cheese contest being put on by dairygoodness.ca and it was the perfect excuse to make a grilled cheese sandwich, not that I really need one. 🙂 With my fresh batch of kimchi on hand I was thinking of another kimchi styled grilled cheese sandwich. I also had some cooked shredded chicken in the freezer that needed to be used and it seemed like the easiest, and possibly the tastiest way to use it would be in the form of a chicken salad sandwich grilled to perfection with lots of ooey gooey melted cheese. I kept the kimchi chicken salad sandwich nice and simple with some bacon, green onions, mayo and gochujang along with the kimchi and the chicken. You really can’t go wrong with combining a creamy mayo based chicken salad with melted cheese and spicy kimchi and this sandwich was no exception!
Kimchi Chicken Melt
- 2 strips bacon (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1/4 cup kimchi (drained and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon gochujang
- 1/2 cup chicken (cooked and shredded)
- 1 green onion (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- 2 slices of bread (or a bun cut in half)
- Cook the bacon and set aside
- Saute the kimchi in the bacon grease until caramelized, about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix mayonnaise and gochujang in a small bowl.
- Mix the bacon, kimchi, gochujang mayo, green onion and sesame seeds.
- Butter one side of each slice bread.
- Place the buttered side of one slice of bread in a heated pan and top with the chicken salad mixture followed by the cheese and the second slice of bread with the buttered side face up.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted.
this looks so delicious and beatiful as well!!
Twin Tables says
Holy wow! This is a brilliant sandwich. Sandwiches are probably my favorite thing to make and I am always inventing new ones as the flavor possibilities are endless. Check out this sandwich I made for lunch the other day. Mushrooms and strawberries with balsamic! http://www.twin-tables.com/2010/06/lunch-time-treat-strawberry-mushroom.html
The Waspy Redhead says
How creative! Sounds incredible.
I really don't love kimchi that much but I think this is gorgeous!
Chef E says
Oh now this is fantastic- a great idea for my vegetarian eating during the week!
I am tweeting this!
Rosa's Yummy Yums says
Those are incredibly tempting! Wow!
Spicy salty cheesy. Good luck with the competition! This looks droolworthy.
omg kevin! your sandwiches always make me drool 🙂
The Short (dis)Order Cook says
You are the sandwich king. I love the idea of spicy kimchee and gooey cheese together.
kevin, dude, you must open a grilled cheese truck! i'm telling ya
Sounds great… I love kimchi (even though I do not make it myself)… will definately try it exept I have no idea what Gochujang is? I guess I need to google it…. Rocco DiSpiro makes great Kimchi Tomato Soup… just another idea to use your kimchi stash 😉
I`ve never eaten kimchi but it looks so delicious Kevin 🙂
polwig: Gochujang is a Korean fermented chili paste. You should be able to find it in a local Asian grocery store.