I recently learned about the All You Need is Cheese grilled cheese contest being put on by dairygoodness.ca and it was the perfect excuse to make a grilled cheese sandwich, not that I really need one. 🙂 With my fresh batch of kimchi on hand I was thinking of another kimchi styled grilled cheese sandwich. I also had some cooked shredded chicken in the freezer that needed to be used and it seemed like the easiest, and possibly the tastiest way to use it would be in the form of a chicken salad sandwich grilled to perfection with lots of ooey gooey melted cheese. I kept the kimchi chicken salad sandwich nice and simple with some bacon, green onions, mayo and gochujang along with the kimchi and the chicken. You really can’t go wrong with combining a creamy mayo based chicken salad with melted cheese and spicy kimchi and this sandwich was no exception!
Kimchi Chicken Melt
- 2 strips bacon (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1/4 cup kimchi (drained and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon gochujang
- 1/2 cup chicken (cooked and shredded)
- 1 green onion (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- 2 slices of bread (or a bun cut in half)
- Cook the bacon and set aside
- Saute the kimchi in the bacon grease until caramelized, about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix mayonnaise and gochujang in a small bowl.
- Mix the bacon, kimchi, gochujang mayo, green onion and sesame seeds.
- Butter one side of each slice bread.
- Place the buttered side of one slice of bread in a heated pan and top with the chicken salad mixture followed by the cheese and the second slice of bread with the buttered side face up.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted.