Pot roast is a classic meal that’s always welcome and it’s super easy to make, especially in a slow cooker! You really just need to throw the beef into a slow cooker and cook on low all day! I like to season the beef with salt and pepper along with onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme and it’s easy to change the seasonings to taste. If you want you can brown the beef in a pan (over medium-high heat) and saute the onions and garlic before adding them to the slow cooker to add a bit more flavour but simply throwing it all in works as well! The gravy is key and it only takes a few minutes to make in a pan on the stove after the roast is done. I like to serve pot roast and gravy over mashed potatoes (or mashed cauliflower) along with a veggie for a complete meal.
This is a pantry friendly meal if you have a roast in the freezer and onions in your pantry along with either a frozen or canned veggie!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Classic beef pot roast and gravy made even easier in a slow cooker!
- 1 (4 pound) beef roast (such as chuck, eye of round, etc.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, coarsely ground
- salt to taste
- Season the roast with salt and pepper to taste, place it in the slow cooker, top with the onions, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and broth and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker and set aside.
- Skim 4 tablespoons of the fat from the juices in the slow cooker and heat it in a saucepan over medium heat, sprinkle in the flour and cook until lightly golden brown, add the remaining liquid from the slow cooker along with the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper and simmer until it thickens, about 2 minutes before seasoning with salt to taste.
- Slice the beef and serve topped with the gravy.
Option: Saute the onions and garlic before adding to the slow cooker.
Tip: Cook for about 7-8 hours on low for a roast that is somewhat slice-able or 9-10 hours for a roast that is just falling apart tender!
Option: Add 2 pounds cubed potatoes.
Option: Add 2 pounds sliced carrots.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce or fish sauce to the gravy.
Slow Cooker Mushroom Pot Roast
Pot Roast Grilled Cheese French Dip Sandwich with Spicy Miso Au Jus
Pot Roast Beef Stroganoff
Pot Roast Beef Philly Cheese Steak Dip
Pot Roast Mushroom Soup
Pot Roast Sandwich Smothered in Gravy with Melted Swiss Cheese and Horseradish Mayonnaise
Slow Cooker Honey and Parmesan Pork Tenderloin