Meatloaf is one of my favourite comfort foods and it’s fun to change up the flavours like in this one with a Philly cheesesteak theme! Philly cheesesteaks are sandwiches with sauteed beef and onions with either melted provolone cheese or cheese whiz and some common extras are sauteed green bell peppers and/or mushrooms. Meatloaf generally starts out with your ground meat, beef in this case, along with eggs and breadcrumbs which, help hold everything together, along with seasonings. The seasonings for this meatloaf begins with sauteed onions, green bell peppers and mushrooms, which are all finely diced so that they mix into the ground beef easily. Next up is the cheese whiz, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup which get mixed in throughout the meatloaf. The final component is the provolone cheese which I like to include in two different ways! The first way is as a solid chunk of cheese that is placed in the center of the meatloaf where it melts in the oven, turning liquid, just waiting to pour out when the loaf is sliced open! The second is that slices are placed on top after the meatloaf has cooked and broiled until it has melted all over the top of the meatloaf! Yum!
Philly Cheesesteak Meatloaf
A Philly cheesesteak themed meatloaf with plenty of whiz and provolone, not to mention sauteed onions, green peppers and mushrooms!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cheese whiz (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 4 ounces provolone (optional)
- 8 slices provolone
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat, add the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute, before removing from heat.
- Mix the beef, salt, pepper, cheese whiz, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, eggs, breadcrumbs and the cooked mixture of the onions, peppers, mushrooms and garlic.
- Place half of the mixture down, place the solid piece of provolone in the middle, top with the remaining mixture, seal the edges well, shape the loaf as desired and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until cooked through, about 50-60 minutes.
- Spread the sliced provolone over the top of the loaf, return to the oven and broil until the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes.
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Slow Cooker Roast Beef Philly Cheesesteak French Dip Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Roast Beef Philly Cheese Steak Dip
Thai Green Curry Turkey and Zucchini Meatloaf in a Coconut Milk Green Curry Sauce
Chipotle Turkey Meat Loaf
Bacon Wrapped Muffin Pan Meatloaf (aka Salisbury Steak Filet Mignon)
Korean Kimchi Meatloaf