I’m a huge fan of tacos! I’m not really sure why… Maybe it’s the tasty meats or the fresh and spicy salsas or maybe it’s that they’re fun to eat with your fingers rather than with a knife and fork. When I’m eating other dishes I often find myself wondering if they would be good in tacos and if so what kind of salsa would go well with them? The other day when I was enjoying a bowl of some Jamaican style jerk beef stew I could not help but ask that exact question about the tender slow cooked Jamaican style jerk beef! I was thinking that a simple juicy pineapple and cool and creamy banana salsa would be the perfect foil to the flavour pack spicy beef! Of course I just had to try it and it turned out beautifully! I used pretty much the same recipe for the beef stew cutting back on the liquids and I served the beef in corn tortillas with the fresh salsa including some candied jalapenos (because their good in pretty much EVERYTHING!). These Jamaican jerk beef tacos with pineapple and banana salsa tacos are some of the best tacos that I’ve had and I’m sure to be adding them to my meal plan again and again!
Jamaican Jerk Beef Tacos with Pineapple and Banana Salsa
Tender Jamaican jerk shredded beef and juicy pineapple and banana salsa with candied jalapeno tacos.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound stewing beef (such as chuck, round, brisket), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1+ scotch bonnet pepper (or habanero pepper)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 orange, juice and zest
- 1 lime, juice and zest (or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup banana, diced
- 1/4 cup candied jalapenos
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 2 green onions, sliced
- salt to taste
- 12 small corn tortillas, warmed
For the Jamaican jerk shredded beef:
For the pineapple and banana salsa:
For the tacos:
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the beef and brown on all sides before setting aside.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes, before adding the garlic, ginger and pepper(s) and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the beef, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, thyme, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg and either reduce and simmer cover until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, until the beef is tender, about 2-3 hours, OR transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and shred!
- Mix everything!
- Assemble the tacos with the beef and salsa in the tortillas and enjoy!