Picadillo is a Latin American dish with many different variations based on location but sharing a common base of minced meat (ground beef in this case). This is a tasty Cuban style take on picadillo with olives, peppers, raisins and capers that is so easy to make! You pretty much just cook the ground beef along with onions and peppers before adding the remaining ingredients and simmering for a few more minutes! You can easily make this picadillo in less that 30 minutes meaning that you have plenty of time to steam some rice or cook some pasta to serve it over! The raisins in this dish add a touch of sweetness to an otherwise savoury dish, that also has some heat form the paprika and a tanginess from a splash of cider vinegar all of which forma a magical combination of flavours!
A quick and easy Cuban style picadillo with capers, olives and raisins!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pimento stuffed olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- Cook the beef, onions and pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking the beef apart as it cooks, before draining off any excess grease.
- Add the garlic, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, olives, raisins, and capers, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and fish sauce.
Option: Serve over steamed rice, quinoa or pasta!
Black Bean, Corn and Quinoa Picadillo Tacos
Mexican Quinoa and Beans with Pico de Gallo
Moroccan Butternut Squash and Chickpea Tagine with Quinoa
Apricot Lamb Tagine
Moroccan Lamb Tagine
Japanese Dry Curry
Mexican Beef and Bean Skillet Rice
Jamaican Jerk Beef and Bean Chili
Chicken Gnocchi in a Creamy Lemon and Caper Sauce