With Spring officially here I have been thinking lighter meals and this lemony lentil soup is a great way to do light, healthy and hearty all in one! The idea behind this soup is lentils and quinoa along with vegetables in a bright lemon broth with spices. Onions, carrot and celery start the soup off with garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander and turmeric rounding out the aromatics and flavours. Broth, lentils and quinoa are added and everything is simmered until they are tender and the soup is finished with a hit of lemon-y freshness along with salt, pepper and cayenne and some fresh cilantro. It’s really that simple! And oh so good! This lemony lentil soup is an amazing meal all by itself and it’s also a great appetizer or starter.
Add shredded kale and coconut milk!
Lemony Lentil Soup
A light, healthy and satisfying lentil and quinoa soup with plenty of bright lemon-y goodness!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced (~1 cup)
- 2 carrots, diced (~1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (~1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (~1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups yellow (or red) lentils, picked over
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes, before adding the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, and turmeric and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, lentils and quinoa, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils and quinoa are tender, about 15-20 minutes, before adding the lemon zest and juice and seasoning with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Option: Make it creamy by adding 2 cups coconut milk, or almond milk, cashew milk, milk, etc.
Option: Add 1/4 cup tahini, cashew butter, almond butter, etc. for creaminess and flavour.
Option: Add spinach, shredded kale, cauliflower, etc.
Split Pea Soup
Creamy Curried Coconut Carrot Soup
Ham and Bean Soup
Roasted Carrot and Tahini Soup with Pomegranate and Pistachios
Creole Split Pea Soup
Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Stew
Curried Red Lentil Soup with Chickpeas and Quinoa
Ham and Lentil Soup
Black Bean and Roasted Pepper Soup
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
Asiago Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Soup
Asiago Cauliflower and Quinoa Chowder
Chickpea Curry (Chana Masala)
Mexican Vegetable Soup
Rosemary and Roasted Garlic White Bean Soup
Chickpea, Spinach and Herb Stew
Cauliflower and Butternut Quinoa Curry
Turmeric Zucchini Soup