Soups make for amazing meals any time of there year and I particularly enjoy them in late summer and early fall! This zucchini soup is light, healthy and packed with flavour! It has a base of veggies including onions, carrots and celery in addition to the zucchini and it’s seasoned with garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric and cayenne. The broth is made with the combination of vegetable broth and coconut milk and the final seasonings are fish sauce, lemon juice and fresh cilantro. This soup is amazing with the vegetables left whole or pureed until smooth! I like to make a double batch and use the leftovers for quick lunches and it freezes well so you can have a few ready to go meals whenever you need them!
To puree or not to puree?
This soup freezes well!
Turmeric Zucchini Soup
A light and tasty zucchini soup with lemon, turmeric, cayenne and ginger.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced/grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced/grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 pounds zucchini, diced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauce over medium-high heat, add the onion, carrot and celery and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne and cook, mixing, until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, coconut milk and zucchini, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Optionally puree some or all of the soup with a stick blender, in a food processor or a blender and return to the pan.
- Add the fish sauce and lemon juice before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the cilantro and enjoy!
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Soupe a la Courgette (Zucchini Soup)
Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Lemony Lentil Soup
Chickpea, Spinach and Herb Stew
Roasted Carrot and Tahini Soup with Pomegranate and Pistachios
Curried Red Lentil Soup with Chickpeas and Quinoa