I’m kicking off the New Year with a quick and easy, light and healthy Thai style veggie curry! The base of a Thai style curry is the red curry paste, coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce and palm/coconut sugar, which creates a magical balance of spicy, sour, salty and sweet that dances on your taste buds. From there you can add anything you want and for this curry I go with a base of cauliflower and butternut squash and I fill it out with red lentils and quinoa! This is a hearty curry that’s satisfying and packed with flavour!
With or without kale. Choose your veggies!
Cauliflower and Butternut Quinoa Curry
A quick and easy cauliflower and butternut squash Thai style red curry with lentils and quinoa!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (~1 cup), diced
- 2 carrots (~1 cup), diced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 small head cauliflower (~4 cups), cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small butternut squash (~4 cups), cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 small bunch kale (~4 cups), thinly sliced and optionally massaged
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons palm/coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce or tamari)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro,
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and cook, while stirring, until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the coconut milk and mix until the curry paste has melted into it before adding the broth, cauliflower, butternut, lentils, quinoa and kale and cooking until everything it tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce. (Taste test here to make sure that the sour, sweet and salty aspects are balanced out nicely, adjusting as desired!)
- Add the cilantro and enjoy!
Option: I like to serve this topped with crispy fried onions!