Soup season is definitely here and do I ever have a tasty one to share with you today, a creamy roasted cauliflower and red pepper soup! The original idea behind this soup was for a creamy roasted red pepper soup but I figured that I would keep things a little on the healthier side by using pureed cauliflower to add the creaminess and to help thicken the soup up a bit. Roasted red peppers and cauliflower are a great combo and another thing that I like to combine with roasted red peppers is tangy goat cheese which also further adds to the creaminess of the soup. Like a lot of great soups, this one is super easy to make where you really just need to roast the red peppers and cauliflower, saute some onions, add the broth and goat cheese, and heat up before pureeing. I added one final touch to the soup and that was a bit of paprika to add a hint of smokiness!
I know what a few of you are thinking right about now and that is: “But Kevin, where is the bacon?” and fear not as this soup is also amazing topped with a mixture of crispy fried pancetta, sauteed apples and crispy croutons. To make this topping simply cook the pancetta in a pan until crispy followed by cooking the apples in the same pan until tender and caramelized and then toss the some diced day old bread in the pancetta drippings and toast them until crispy.
Of course it is always nice to get some extra goat cheese in there by sprinkling some on top as well!
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup with Goat Cheese
A creamy roasted red pepper and cauliflower soup with tangy melted goat cheese!
- 4 red bell pepper, cut in half and seeds removed
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the red peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down, broil until the skins are blackened, about 10 minutes, place in a sealable container and let ‘steam’ for 20 minutes before pinching the skins off and dicing.
- Meanwhile, toss the cauliflower in the oil, place it in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender and caramelized, about 20-30 minutes, mixing once in the middle.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and cook the onion until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the roasted red peppers, cauliflower, broth, paprika and goat cheese and simmer for 10 minutes before pureeing to the desired consistency with a hand blender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with goat cheese.
Option: Use jarred or frozen roasted red peppers to save some time.
Option: Use a can of white beans as the thickener instead of the cauliflower.
Option: Replace one cup of broth with cream or milk.
Creamy Mushroom and Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Soup
Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Quinoa Salad in Balsamic Vinaigrette
Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Alfredo Pasta
Goat Cheese, Roasted Red Pepper and Kalamata Olive Mac n Cheese
Roasted Cauliflower and Red Pepper Farro Salad
Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Creamy Roasted Asparagus and Brie Cauliflower Soup
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Goat Cheese Skillet Chicken
Creamy Curried Coconut Carrot Soup
Chickpea and Red Pepper Paprika
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Asiago Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Soup
Asiago Cauliflower and Quinoa Chowder
Roasted Carrot and Tahini Soup with Pomegranate and Pistachios