The first of the local asparagus is here and I could not resist making an asparagus soup! This is a super easy soup and yet it is simply amazing! There is just something about the cream and asparagus combo! This is a smooth pureed soup with a base of asparagus, onions and garlic with potatoes added to help thicken the soup! Everything is simmered in broth until tender before it’s pureed and the cream is added. The seasoning is simple with a small amount of parmesan cheese that goes well with the mild asparagus flavour. I like to add fresh basil and a hint of lemon to brighten the soup up a bit and I finish it off with some umami packed white miso paste. This asparagus soup takes almost no time to make and it’s a great way to welcome in springs produce!
One of the great things about this soup is that it’s so easy to change it up to suit your tastes and/or mood! I sometimes like to replace the potatoes with cauliflower, or to use a different cheese or maybe replace the cream with a different dairy product, etc.
A quick and easy creamy asparagus soup!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, asparagus and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the asparagus and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the basil and lemon zest and puree the soup with a hand blender, or in a food processor, or in a blender, until smooth before returning it to the saucepan.
- Add the cream, cheese, and miso paste, mix well and let cook until the cheese has melted into the sauce, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Option: Use a leek instead of an onion.
Option: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes along with the garlic for some heat!
Option: Use a different cheese such as asiago, grana padano, pecorino romano, gruyere, cheddar, brie, etc.
Option: Use cauliflower instead of potatoes.
Option: Use a different herb instead of the basil, such as parsley, dill etc.
Option: Add toasted pine nuts, both pureed with the soup and as a garnish on top.
Option: Use milk, yogurt, sour cream cottage cheese, etc instead of cream.
Option: Add extra flavours like morel mushrooms, garlic scapes, etc.
Option: Add garnished such as crispy bacon, prosciutto, croutons, etc.
Creamy Roasted Asparagus and Brie Cauliflower Soup
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Soup
Creamy Mushroom and Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup with Goat Cheese
Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup
Spicy Roasted Corn and Jalapeno Avocado Soup
Asiago Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Soup
Asiago Cauliflower and Quinoa Chowder
Cold Cucumber Soup
Asparagus and Aburage Miso Soup