When I think about avocados one of the last things that I tend to think about is soups but avocados are great in soup whether in the form of chunks or pureed in the broth! The sweet corn and avocado flavour combo is a great one and it works oh so well in this spicy roasted corn and jalapeno avocado soup. This soup starts out by pan roasting the corn until it’s slightly charred and caramelized, to bring out it’s natural flavours and sweetness, before adding the broth and avocados and pureeing until nice and smooth! Seasonings include jalapenos chili peppers, green onions, garlic, lime juice and miso paste which when combined with the sweet corn creates an amazing balance of sweet, spicy, salty and sour! Of course the pureed avocados make this soup super smooth and creamy without the need for actually adding cream so it’s nice and light and healthy! This spicy roasted corn and jalapeno avocado soup is fantastic both warm and chilled so it’s perfect any time of the year!
Spicy Roasted Corn and Jalapeno Avocado Soup
A creamy avocado soup with sweet corn and spicy jalapeno that is just as good cool and hot!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups corn
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly slices and divided (whites and greens)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 avocados
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- Heat the butter in a large heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat, add the corn, jalapeno and the whites of the green onions and let sit until the corn starts to char a bit before mixing and letting char again, about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the greens of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and avocados, bring to a boil and let simmer for a few minutes before pureeing with a hand blender (or in a blender or food processor) and mixing in the miso paste and lime juice.
Option: Only puree half of the corn to keep some of the full corn kernel texture.
Option: Garnish with cilantro oil! (1 cup cilantro pureed into 1/2 cup oil.)
Option: Garnish with crumbled queso fresco, feta, etc.
Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup
Creamy Roasted Asparagus and Brie Cauliflower Soup
Avgolemono Soup (aka Greek Lemon Chicken Soup)
Thai Pumpkin Soup
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Avocados
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad) Avocado Toast
Corn and Cotija Guacamole (aka Esquites Guacamole)
Esquites Quinoa Salad with Avocado
Creamy Curried Coconut Carrot Soup
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Roasted Corn Queso Fundido and Avocado Tacos
Cold Cucumber Soup
Rosemary and Roasted Garlic White Bean Soup
Corn and Jalapeno Chowder