Chicken cordon bleu is a fabulous chicken dish where chicken breasts are stuffed with ham and swiss cheese, coated in breadcrumbs and cooked until the cheese has melted inside and the outside is nice and golden brown and crispy! It takes a bit of effort to stuff the chicken with the ham and swiss and this is a much simpler casserole version where the chicken is placed in a baking pan and topped with the ham, cheese and breadcrumbs before baking it! Chicken cordon bleu is often served with a mustard sauce and this recipe includes one that smothers the chicken before baking! This chicken cordon bleu casserole could not be easier to make, it tastes better than the original and it is sure to impress, even with dinner guests!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
A super easy take on chicken cordon bleu where chicken is topped with ham, swiss cheese, a tasty mustard sauce and breadcrumbs before being baked until golden brown, crispy, and all sorts of good!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper taste
- 1 pound chicken
- 1/4 pound deli sliced ham
- 1/4 pound deli sliced swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until it just starts to brown, before sprinkling in the flour, mixing and cooking until it just starts to brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and milk, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes, before mixing in the lemon juice, mustards, miso paste, paprika, salt and pepper and removing from the heat.
- Place the chicken breasts in a single layer in a baking pan, top with the ham followed by the cheese, and the sauce.
- Melt the butter, mix in the breadcrumbs followed by the parmesan and sprinkle it over the chicken in the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the chicken is cooked through, the breadcrumbs are golden, and the sides are bubbling, about 30-40 minutes.
Baked Firecracker Chicken
Pico de Gallo Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Baked Chicken
Baked Chicken Santa Fe
Balsamic Caprese Baked Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
One Pan Greek Lemon Chicken Rice with Roast Garlic
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Nachos
Chicken Cordon Bleu Quinoa Casserole
Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup