Over the last few months I come across a few really great looking chicken tortilla soups such as here and here . Given the cooler weather I though it would be the perfect time to try a hot and spicy soup. I liked the sound of using the salsa verde or green enchilada sauce in the soup. I was not able to find any tomatillos to make my own salsa verde so I went with a can. The soup turned out to be really tasty! I liked the sweetness of the corn in the otherwise spicy soup. The crunch of the tortillas was a nice contrast in texture. I garnished the soup with some sour cream and shredded cheese.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4 jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 pound of chicken thighs (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 4 cups of chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce can salsa verde
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 small corn tortillas (sliced and toasted, or tortilla chips)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the jalapeno peppers and saute until fragrant for a minute.
- Add the chili and cumin powders and saute for a minute.
- Add the chicken, stock, tomatoes, salsa verde, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about an hour. (You could serve as soon as the chicken is cooked if you are in a hurry.)
- Turn off the heat and stir in the corn and cilantro.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes such as sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, etc.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Chipotle Chicken and Corn Bacon Chowder
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Chicken Fajita Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)