Mexican street corn, grilled corn on the cob all slathered with butter, mayo, lime juice, chili powder and crumbled cheese, is one of my favourite foods and I was recently thinking that it would be good in the form of a tasty soup! This soup has a base of, you guessed it, corn and both fresh and frozen work but fresh is the best! I like to add the corn to the soup in two ways, I like to puree the corn into soup t make it nice and thick but I also like the flavour and texture of the full kernels so I grill or char some of the corn and leave it whole. The flavours of the Mexican street corn are built up with the butter, sour cream, lime juice and crumbled cheese! Heat is added in the form of jalapeno peppers and a garnish of chili powder and I like to kick up the flavour with a hit of fish sauce and miso paste which adds umami! Of course I could not make this soup without bacon and I almost need nice big chunks of avocado! This Mexican street corn soup is great either warm or chilled so it’s perfect all year round!
Mexican Street Corn Soup
All of the amazing flavours of Mexican style street corn in soup form! Yum!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups corn
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 cups corn
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoon white miso paste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- 1/4 cup cotija (or queso fresco, or feta, etc.), crumbled
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until lightly charred, about 6-10 minutes, mix it up and let it char again, about 6-10 minutes, before setting aside.
- Add the onions and jalapeno and cook until the onions are tender, about 3-15 minutes, before adding the garlic and cumin and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and uncooked corn, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes before pureeing, partially or completely, with a stick blender or in a blender or food processor.
- Add the charred corn, sour cream lime juice, fish sauce, miso paste and cilantro before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and serving topped with crumbled cheese!
Option: Simmer the cobs of corn in the broth for 15-20 minutes before using the broth to infuse it with even more corn flavour!
Option: Start by cooking 4 strips bacon until crispy, set aside and using the 2 tablespoons of the grease in addition to the butter to cook the corn and garnish the soup with the crumbled bacon!
Option: Add extra jalapeno peppers to taste!
Option: Add 2-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise which is sometimes slathered on Mexican street corn.
Option: Add diced avocado!
Mexican Street Corn
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)
Esquites Quinoa Salad with Avocado
Corn and Cotija Guacamole (aka Esquites Guacamole)
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad) Avocado Toast
Mexican Street Corn Style Grilled Zucchini
Roasted Corn Queso Fundido
Mexican Street Corn Nachos
Shrimp and Roasted Corn Chowder
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Corn and Zucchini Chowder