If you like Mexican corn on the cob, elote , then you are going to love esquites which is essentially elote but served in a bowl, only better! This year I have been enjoying using my cast iron skillet to ‘roast’ corn until the kernels char and caramelize which intensifies their sweetness making them even more irresistible! When I came across the idea of esquites where the corn is roasted in this way I immediately knew that it would be amazing! This salad has it all with the sweet caramelized corn, the salty cheese, the sour lime juice and the jalapeno heat and it is all held together with garlicky mayonnaise!
Update: If you like esquites, then you will love it with the addition of creamy avocado!
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)
A tasty Mexican street corn salad with an amazing blend of sweet corn, salty cheese, sour lime juice and a hint of spicy chili powder; pure summer in a bowl.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups corn (about 4 ears), cut from the cob
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 glove garlic, grated
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juice
- 2 tablespoons cotija (or feta), crumbled
- chili powder to taste
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until charred, mix it up and let it char again, about 6-10 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno, saute for a minute and remove from heat.
- Mix everything and serve warm or at room temperature.
Mexican Corn on the Cob (Elote)
Corn and Cotija Guacamole (aka Esquites Guacamole)
Hot Cheesy Corn Dip
Fresh Pea Salad
Esquites Quinoa Salad with Avocado
Creamed Corn with Roasted Red Peppers and Bacon
Mexican Street Corn Style Grilled Zucchini
Mexican Street Corn Nachos
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad) Avocado Toast
Roasted Corn Queso Fundido
Sriracha Maple Miso Butter Grilled Corn
Mexican Corn Salad Dip
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Sriracha Lime Corn Salad
Creamy Bacon and Avocado Corn Salad
Mexican Street Corn Fritters
Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
Jalapeno Honey Lime Corn Salad with Avocado
Mexican Street Corn Baked Chicken