Are you looking for a side dish for the last holiday weekend of the summer? This Mexican street corn inspired pasta salad is perfect! This is a pasta salad with all of the flavours of Mexican corn on the cob (aka Elote) including the butter, mayonnaise, lime juice, cotija cheese and chili powder! I like to use fresh corn and either grill it on the cob or char it in a skillet in butter. Like many pasta salads this one is easy to make, it can be made ahead of time, it gets better the next day and it’s perfect straight from the refrigerator or at room temperature! You can use any shape of pasta and I like the medium shells as the corn and cheese gets caught in the shells! This Mexican street corn pasta salad is a great way to kick off the end of summer!
I like to make it a day ahead to let the flavours meld in the fridge overnight and it’s easy to grab a container and quickly get moving!
Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
A simple and tasty pasta salad with all of the flavours of Mexican street corn (aka elote).
- 1 pound pasta (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (or cayenne) (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup cotija (or feta), crumbled
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package, drain, mix with the oil and let cool, mixing every 5 minutes. (The oil and mixing helps prevent it from sticking together while it cools.)
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add the corn and let it sit cooking until lightly charred, mix it up and let it char again, about 6-10 minutes.
- Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Assemble the salad, toss and enjoy!
Option: Add cooked and crumbled bacon!
Option: Add diced tomatoes!
Option: Add diced avocado!
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)
Mexican Corn on the Cob (Elote)
Corn and Cotija Guacamole (aka Esquites Guacamole)
Esquites Quinoa Salad with Avocado
Mexican Street Corn Nachos
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad) Avocado Toast
Roasted Corn Queso Fundido
Mexican Corn Salad Dip
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Sriracha Lime Corn Salad
Creamy Bacon and Avocado Corn Salad
BBQ Chicken Pasta Salad
Spinach and Artichoke Pasta Salad
Mediterranean Tortellini Pasta Salad
Avocado BLT Pasta Salad
I’ve wanted to try Mexican Street Corn and there are many recipes out there but I am only one person and they are a lot of work for just one cob of corn. This, however, is perfect with left overs that go well as left overs instead of a few left over cobs of MSC cold from the fridge. Thank you.
Mary Kessinger says
Have a question, if making day ahead, do I add cilantro? Also, didn’t read when to add green onions, cilantro, jalapeno. I’m guessing when you said mix salad at end? Making for beach party tomorrow.
What is the serving size for 300 calories?
The serving size is approximately 1 cup.
Last year, I found a corn cob peeler that ‘s just like a potato peeler with a round blade that has made me a corn salad afficianado. Thanks for this recipe. I’m loving having lots of fresh corn off the cob for great recipes like this. I also char my corn with onions, peppers, and black beans. Yum! I discovered Tajin seasoning while I was in Mexico last winter. They use it everywhere, including in margaritas. lol Delish.