Are you looking for a side dish for the last holiday weekend of the summer? This Mexican street corn inspired pasta salad is perfect! This is a pasta salad with all of the flavours of Mexican corn on the cob (aka Elote) including the butter, mayonnaise, lime juice, cotija cheese and chili powder! I like to use fresh corn and either grill it on the cob or char it in a skillet in butter. Like many pasta salads this one is easy to make, it can be made ahead of time, it gets better the next day and it’s perfect straight from the refrigerator or at room temperature! You can use any shape of pasta and I like the medium shells as the corn and cheese gets caught in the shells! This Mexican street corn pasta salad is a great way to kick off the end of summer!
I like to make it a day ahead to let the flavours meld in the fridge overnight and it’s easy to grab a container and quickly get moving!
Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
A simple and tasty pasta salad with all of the flavours of Mexican street corn, aka elote.
- 1 pound pasta (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (or cayenne) (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup cotija (or feta), crumbled
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package, drain, mix with oil and let cool, mixing every 5 minutes. (The oil and mixing helps prevent it from sticking together while it cools.)
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add the corn, and let it sit cooking until charred, mix it up and let it char again, about 6-10 minutes.
- Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Assemble the salad, toss and enjoy!
Option: Add cooked and crumbled bacon!
Option: Add diced tomatoes!
Option: Add diced avocado!
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)
Mexican Corn on the Cob (Elote)
Corn and Cotija Guacamole (aka Esquites Guacamole)
Esquites Quinoa Salad with Avocado
Mexican Street Corn Nachos
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad) Avocado Toast
Roasted Corn Queso Fundido
Mexican Corn Salad Dip
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Sriracha Lime Corn Salad
Creamy Bacon and Avocado Corn Salad
BBQ Chicken Pasta Salad
Spinach and Artichoke Pasta Salad
Mediterranean Tortellini Pasta Salad
Avocado BLT Pasta Salad